Smart Code Snippets
What is a Code Snippet?
A Code Snippet is a reusable block of code shared on the platform.
- A name: how you call your code snippet (e.g.
Read a CSV file)
- A description, optional (e.g.
code snippet that read a CSV file from the local filesystem)
- A set of tags, optional, to organize your code snippets
- A block of reusable code that is what is being stored on the platform and reused by other developers.
- A set of imports, optional, that are imports being automatically when importing the code snippet.
- A set of keywords that are used to trigger the code snippet.
How to create a Code Snippet?
You can create code snippets on the platform, using the web interface.
You can also create a code snippets directly from your IDE by selecting the text and selecting to create a code snippet.
How to share a code snippets?
You can share a code snippets using a direct link or embed a badge on your website. On the public code snippets page, you can share the code snippets directly using a badge.
A code snippet can be either public or private. You cannot change the code snippets visbility once created.
When a code snippet is created as public, it's automatically shared and reusable by anybody on the platform.
When a code snippet is created as private, only you can reuse it.
Using a code snippet
To use a code snippet, you need to subscribe to it. You can favor a code snippet on Codiga Hub, once you are logged.
How a code snippet get selected in my IDE?
You can search for a code snippet directly within your IDE. When looking for a code snippet, the matching engine fetch code snippets that matches the user requests and code snippets keywords.
The matching engine uses the following parameters to select code snippets:
- keywords: the engine checks that the keywords from the user request and the keywords from code snippets.
- popularity: the engine surfaces code snippets that are used and popular.
- rating: the engine avoids unsafe code snippets (e.g. code snippets flagged as unsafe).
- language: the langauge of the code snippet must match the language of the file edited in the IDE.
- libraries: the code snippet must be usable with the libraries and language used within the IDE.
What is a cookbook?
A cookbook is a collection of code snippets. You can add multiple code snippets in the same cookbook.
When a user subscribe to a cookbook, they automatically subscribe to all public code snippets within that cookbook.
How to share a cookbook?
You can share a cookbook using a direct link or embed a badge on your website. On the public code snippet page, you can share the cookbook directly using a badge.